With your fire-smart plan in place, it’s time to get cracking!
Following on from the last two articles (here and here), we’ll tell you which are the best plants for your home and what to look out for. Not only will these plants protect you through the summer – they’re also a long-term, sustainable option you can enjoy all year round.
Choosing the right plants
Firstly, it’s important to remember that no matter how strong your plants are, any plant under the right extreme circumstances will burn. But while no plant is completely fireproof, they come in a wide range of flammability levels.
Here are the key terms to remember when making your decision:
- Fire resistant: means that the plant can survive being burnt and will regrow, but this does not mean it’s safe for your garden
- Fire retardant: for plants that won’t burn easily or may slow down the fire’s path
- Firewise: this refers to a flammability ranking system where plants labelled firewise are safe, while those not firewise are unsuitable
Native plants vs other plants
Plant flammability depends on a number of factors, including:
- Plant age, health, and physical structure
- The time taken for it to ignite
- How much material is available to burn
- Location in relation to other flammable objects
Our native flora and fauna do more than decorate our beautiful landscape. While not all species are fire retardant, many are developed specifically for our dry climate and engineered to survive better than other species.
Many natives are also drought-resistant, making them resilient, sustainable, economical, and the perfect long-term choice.
Here’s a list of fire retardant species (here and here) that are great for your garden. Workpower’s Nursery specialises in WA native plants and can supply all your firewise vegetation, including these ones:
- Myoporum parvifolium ‘Yareena’
- Lomandra longifolia ‘Katrinus’
- Westringia fruticosa ‘Mundi’
- Dianella revoluta ‘Little Rev’
- Dianella tasmanica ‘Tas Red’
The next step
We offer a range of services that can manage your whole project from start to finish. From planning a smart, firewise garden, designing and planting your area, and ensuring your plants are maintained and remain at low risk, we’ve got you covered this season.
With our help, you can create a safe and enjoyable space that will survive anything summer throws at you!
Our Workpower services offer combined packages for designing, creating, and maintaining your landscapes. Contact our green team here at (08) 9375 4950 for more details.