Now that we know what the NDIS is, here comes the important question: am I eligible?
Read on to answer your queries about eligibility, application, and starting your first plan.
Who is eligible?
People who satisfy the following conditions are eligible to be an NDIS participant:
- Have a significant/permanent disability or developmental delay (including psychosocial disability)
- Less than 65 years old when entering the NDIS
- Have Australian citizenship, hold a permanent visa, or a Protected Special Category visa
- Reside in an area where NDIS is available
You may also be eligible for an early intervention condition. These supports are provided by the NDIS and not by any other services. You may be eligible if you:
- have an impairment/condition likely to be permanent or,
- Have a child under 6 with a developmental delay that means they need more assistance with communication, self-care, and learning and motor skills than other children that age
For more information about this and other conditions, call the NDIA at 1800 800 110.
By 2019 the scheme aims to support about 460,000 Australians. So far, we’re on schedule with almost 120 000 individuals with disability covered by this revolutionary program!
Other available supports
If you don’t fulfill all the eligibility requirements for the NDIS, there are other options. You may be eligible for both disability and mainstream services in the community. These services are also available for the families, carers, and friends of an NDIS participant.
For more info visit the NDIS site or call 1800 800 110.
Watch this video for a quick summary of the whole application process:
We’ll be following up with information about your personal NDIS pathway, so stay tuned!
We are Workpower, one of the largest certified NDIS Service Providers in WA. If you have any further questions about the NDIS or want to know more about our supports, chat to Teresa at 9445 6525!