In earlier this month the NDIS announced the first Participant Employment Strategy. This marks a targeted three year approach that aims to see 30% of participants of working age in meaningful employment by 30th June 2023.
The goal is a 6% increase from the previous target and will be achieved through the following focus areas:
- Increasing participant aspiration and employment goals in NDIS plans
- Boosting participant choice and control over employment pathways
- Increasing market innovations that improve the path to paid work
- Improving confidence of employers to employ NDIS participants
- Leading by example as an employer
How it will be achieved
In order to achieve this the NDIS will increase support for participants interested in work, and work with service providers and businesses to create more opportunities. You can read the full details here.
They’ve also highlighted a particular focus on helping young people 14 – 25 years old transition from school to work.
This is great news to us, as creating more opportunities for people with disability is what we’re all about! We look forward to working closely with the NDIS over the next three years towards this new goal.
How we support employment
As the NDIS and the world of work evolves, we’re adapting our supports to match the different needs, interests, and aspirations of people with disability.
Employment is different for everyone, which is why we offer various options to assist you, no matter what step of the journey you’re at.
If you’re a student and looking for a pathway into your first career, we can help you with:
- Work experience through our social enterprises
- Tailored employment workshops during the school holidays
- Volunteering and community involvement opportunities
For employment support we can assist you to:
- Work in a supported workplace
- Find a position in open employment
- Establish your own micro business or enterprise
If you’ve got a goal to work but not sure how to achieve it, we can help. Get in touch with our engagement team at 1800 610 665 or email us here. More updates on recent NDIS changes coming soon.