Starting in April 2020, the new Carer Gateway will provide a series of online and in-person services for those who support others.
After 25 years as a disability service provider, we understand the critical role of carers and families in supporting people with disability. We’re here to make sure you get the support you need. Read on for more information.
New carer supports
To support our unpaid carers, the Government has invested in a new range of early intervention services.
A range of online supports are already available through the Gateway. They include:
- Educational modules
- Phone counselling sessions
- Self-paced coaching resources
- An online peer support network for carers
- Information about strategies and financial and legal assistance
The Gateway aims to build carer knowledge of effective techniques, stress management, self-care, and future planning.
In April, additional supports will be provided by local service providers like Carers WA and Helping Minds. This includes:
- Carer needs assessment and planning
- Targeted financial support packages
- Access to emergency crisis supports
- In-person and phone coaching, counselling, and peer support
- Assistance with connecting to other support services, for example NDIS
What happens next?
In the meantime, there will be no changes to the supports you can currently receive. You can still access your nearest Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre by calling 1800 052 222.
These changes also do not affect any supports provided under the NDIS, including our School Holiday Program.
If you would like to see if your care recipient is eligible to receive supports, get in touch with us today. You can contact us at 1800 610 665 or on email.