Balcatta Re-Use Shop
Frequently Asked Questions
About our site
How do I access the recycling centre?
If you want to drop off steel, cardboard or household goods then enter the Balcatta Transfer Station in the left lane and see our gate staff for directions.
If you want to access the shop then enter in the right lane and park in the car park and walk into the shopping area. Please stay on the paths as we must keep cars and people separate for your safety.
Is the BRS managed by the City of Stirling?
The BRS is managed by Workpower and is a social enterprise that supports the employment of people with disability. Revenue from the sale of goods is used to employ our recycling team.
Shopping at BRS
Our showroom is open from 7.30am – 4pm, 7 days per week (including bank holidays)
Do I have to be a City of Stirling resident to visit or shop at BRS?
No, anyone is welcome to browse and buy.
Do I have to live in the city of Stirling to drop off recycling and household goods?
No, we can take goods from anyone.
How can I pay for my goods?
We accept cash and EFTPOS payments.
Can you search the shop for a specific item on my behalf?
Due to the large volume of stock moving in and out of our site every day, we’re not able to search for specific items. The best way to know if we have something in stock would be to drop by and check what’s in stock on the day.
Can I reserve an item before heading to site?
All items are available on a first-come, first-served basis, and cannot be reserved ahead of time.
Can I buy an item online?
We don’t accept online payments or reservations.
How can I find out what’s available at BRS?
Are your prices negotiable?
We work hard to ensure that our prices are competitive and fair for the products on offer. As such, we’re not able to negotiate on prices.
Have the prices gone up?
Wherever possible, we have kept our prices at the same level. However, to offset the costs of site operation, machinery, and safety measures, some rare, specialised, or especially pristine items do carry a slightly increased price. This allows us to keep prices low across the Centre and ensure that our customers have access to the same amazing quality prices they know and love!
Do you have loan trailers?
Not at this stage, but you can loan a trailer from Kennards Hire on the corner of Balcatta Road and Erindale Road. Please ensure you bring the approved tie-down straps to secure your load.
Recycling and donating
What do you take?
- Good quality household goods, including:
- Furniture with no rips or stains
- Electrical goods in working order
- Sporting equipment
- Outdoor and garden equipment
- Garden furniture and equipment
- Crockery and cutlery
- Toys and pushbikes
- Books and CD’s
- Construction supplies, including:
- Doors and windows
- Metal Sheeting
- Fence panels
- Scrap metal
We don’t accept…
- Hazardous waste
- Heavily damaged or soiled household items
- Car bodies
- Items for children, including:
- Bunk beds
- Child car seats and restraints
- Child play equipment & toys for the under 3’s (toys for children over 3 years are accepted)
- Cots (household and portable)
- Prams and strollers
- Bunk beds
- Prohibited items:
- Aquatic toys and flotation aids
- Blinds with chords
Gas heaters and stoves
- Helmets (including for bicycles, motorbikes and horse riding)
- Mattresses (bed frames are acceptable)
- Vehicle jacks, ramps and support stands (but can be taken to scrap metal)
- Aquatic toys and flotation aids
Where can I dispose of hazardous waste at the recycling centre?
The Hazardous Waste team is located at the exit of the recycling centre and can take:
- Acids and alkalis
- Batteries (household only)
- Engine coolants and glycols
- Fire extinguishers, (non halon red only)
- Fluorescent lamps and tubes (no commercial quantities accepted)
- Gas cylinders (household only)
- Household chemicals (e.g. cleaners)
- Paint (domestic quantities)
- Pool chemicals (maximum 20kg only)
- Smoke detectors
- Unknown chemicals (must be sealed in chemical resistant containers)
- Motor oil (Maximum 20L only, no empty oil bottles will be accepted)
- Authorised BD Yellow Sharps Collector containers
- E-waste (i.e. televisions, computers and accessories, household appliances)
- Car batteries
- Old CDs & DVDs
The Hazardous waste section cannot take medicines and loose syringes.
Do you buy goods?
We take donated goods only.
What do donations to BRS support?
Donations of household goods help Workpower provide employment for people with disability, and assist us with the costs of running and improving our centre.