Our April School Holiday Employment Program (SHEP) saw record numbers of participants build skills towards employment compared to the previous program.
An intro to working life
We invited some experienced speakers to share with us how to find and get a job and what to expect at work. Topics covered include:
- Interview skills, education options, and pathways to employment from Job Skills WA
- How to start your own business and the grant application process with yoga entrepreneur Kat Chivers
- Customised Employment, the Discovery Process, and how to get the most from your supports with Workpower
These info sessions helped participants prepare for their own work experience opportunity in the community. We worked with each to identify an area or workplace they’d like to learn more about. From there we partnered with local businesses to arrange short work placements.
We matched these placements with each person’s goals, as identified in their NDIS plans. The range of workplaces included administration, human resources, retail, childcare, gardening, and even personal fitness!
Gets hands-on with work
There’s no doubt that everyone gained invaluable insight during their placements! Out of the many incredible outcomes we saw, these are just some highlights:
- Mareg assisted with an anti-bullying and self-defence Youth School Holiday Program held at the Balcatta UFC
- Harry learned about horticulture at our Wholesale Nursery along with John Paul, who also joined our Packaging team for a day
- Lauren gained key childcare experience by assisting with the School Holiday Program
- JB supported our Corporate team with administration tasks
- Staff at Bunnings were so impressed by Andrew during his placement that they offered him an ongoing position, with possibility to become a paid job!
Everyone was so focused, determined, and made the most out of each session. They took home key lessons about work, as well as new confidence in their capabilities!
Thank you to all the speakers and businesses who helped our participants this SHEP.