On 5 April 2019, the Australian government announced the establishment of the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability.
Recent reports have shown that people with disability are more likely to experience violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation than people without disability. The Royal Commission will look at what should be done to stop people with disability from experiencing violence, abuse neglect and exploitation, specifically what can be done to:
- Prevent, and better protect, people with disability from experiencing violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation
- Achieve best practice in reporting and investigating of, and responding to violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation
- Promote a more inclusive society that supports the independence of people with disability and their right to live free from violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation.
The inquiry will cover all forms of violence against, and abuse, neglect and exploitation of, people with disability, in all settings and contexts.
Workpower welcomes and supports the Royal Commission, and we look forward to contributing to the discussion and actions required to deliver the preferred future for high quality, safe and sustainable disability support services, one in which all individuals have greater choice, control and independence over the services they receive.
Share your experience
The Royal Commission is now inviting interested members of the public and institutions to make submissions.
A submission form has been created to assist, and submissions are also being accepted via phone or email.
The range of issues the Commission is seeking information on is broad and includes:
- Incidents of violence, abuse, neglect and/or abuse
- Complaint process and outcomes
- Access to places and services
- Quality and safety of disability-specific services
- Best practice and innovation
Any submissions made at this point will be treated as public documents; confidential submissions will be accepted soon.
An information line has been
launched for the Royal Commission to support people with disability, families,
carers and others to engage with the Royal Commission. The number is 1800 517
199 (9am to 5pm AEDT, Monday to Friday).
An email address for enquiries is also available at DRCenquiries@royalcommission.gov.au.
We will continue to keep you informed of the progress and developments.
For more information, please visit the following links (opens in a new tab):